Home Door Supervisor Security Guards Vs Door Supervisors
Security Guards Vs Door Supervisors

Security Guards Vs Door Supervisors


What’s the difference between a security guard and a door supervisor? While this sounds like the opening line to a bad joke, there’s little to laugh about, because both roles are equally important.

Most will assume that security guards and door supervisors can be mentioned in the same breath, but in truth there are marked differences between the two.

So, before we delve into what those differences are, let’s take a closer look at each role in more detail:

Security Guard

A security guard will work in a variety of non-licensed establishments, such as retail or corporate premises. The role will include performing the following duties:

  • Observing the surrounding areas
  • Ensuring the safety of customers, general public and staff
  • Theft prevention or reducing stock loss
  • Ensuring the smooth running of an establishment, such as searching customer’s bags and managing large queues.

Door Supervisor

While this role isn’t as formal as the above, and the working hours tend to be more unsociable, a lot of the duties are very similar:

  • Performing body searches on customers at the door
  • Monitoring who enters and leaves the establishment by performing head counts.
  • Ensuring the safety of staff and customers
  • Managing large queues of people

It is worth noting that a security guard, even if licensed, CANNOT work on a premises that is authorised by a local governing body, such as a bar or club. In short, they wouldn’t be able to work at a venue that served alcohol.

So, which is best, then? Door supervising or security guarding?

Well that depends entirely on you or your lifestyle preference. No role is better than the other, because both industries, be it hospitality, entertainment or corporate, wouldn’t be able to function without a security presence.

The choice is yours to discover.

How to work in the security sector

If you are interested in working in the security sector, whether it be as a Door Supervisor, Security Guard or CCTV Operative, you will need to obtain a SIA Licence.

To obtain a SIA Licence, you will need to complete a course. Once you have completed the course, will you then be able to apply for an SIA Licence and work in the security sector.


" alt="Polygon" />