Why Get Licensed SIA Job Trainig

The Security Industry Authority is the organisation responsible for regulating the private security industry and maintaining all aspects of SIA jobs. They are an independent body reporting to the Home Secretary, established in 2003 under the terms of the Private Security Industry Act 2001. Their mission is to help protect society by collaboratively developing and achieving high standards within the private security industry. They have two main duties. One is the compulsory licensing of individuals working in specific sectors of the private security industry; the other is to manage the Approved Contractor Scheme, which measures private security companies against a set of independently assessed criteria.There are 2 kinds of SIA licence that the SIA is managing:

  • A front line licence is required if undertaking licensable activity, other than key holding activities (this also covers undertaking non-front line activity). A front line licence is in the form of a plastic SIA card that must be worn, subject to the licence conditions.
  • A non-front line licence is required for those who manage, supervise and/or employ individuals who engage in licensable activity. This SIA licence is issued in the form of a letter that also covers key holding activities.

Responsibility for getting an SIA licence and SIA card before applying for SIA jobs

You, the operative, or the ones who are seeking for a good SIA job, are responsible for obtaining a SIA Licence with a SIA security card to work legally within the private security industry and in order to obtain an SIA Licence you must have been well trained with the suitable sia course and passed the final SIA test. This entitles you to a certificate demonstrating your right to work in the industry, as well as the SIA licence stating you are a qualified professional, so you feel confidently applying for a well-paid SIA jobs. You will be breaking the law if you do a SIA job without a licence and your employer will be breaking the law if they use unlicensed staff. It is not your employer's responsibility to get you licensed, but it is their responsibility to ensure that their security staff always have the right licence with right SIA card for the role they ask them to perform.

Becoming an SIA security card holder lets you show everyone that you are a qualified, SIA-accredited, security worker. It is essential that you follow best practice of SIA card holders: All operatives (except for some special positions like Close Protectors or Store detectives) must wear the SIA security badge/ SIA card whenever they are engaged in licensed activity. If your SIA card has been lost or stolen it is essential that you tell the police and the SIA as soon as you can – this enables them to be on the lookout for anyone posing as an SIA Licence holder using your SIA card and performing abnormal SIA jobs, a circumstance which without your prompt action could result in trouble for you.

To learn more about SIA licensing critera click here.

Penalties for operating without a licence

For those doing Security jobs or supplying unlicensed security staff, without an SIA licence the penalties are currently as follows;
1) summary conviction at a Magistrate's Court, Sheriff Court or District Court: a maximum penalty of six months imprisonment and/or a fine of up to £5,000, or
2) (for supplying unlicensed staff only) trial on indictment at Crown Court, High Court of Justiciary or Sheriff and jury trial: an unlimited fine and/or up to five years imprisonment.

Interested parties should seek their own independent legal advice on this matter if they are concerned about their individual liabilities.

Door Supervisors

Door Supervision

Door Supervision, sometimes known as door stewards or bouncers, are responsible for the security of customers and staff in pubs, bars and nightclubs, and other licensed premises and public events. They keep order and make sure that people are safe. One of their main duties is to check the suitability of people coming into the venue. They may check that the person is not underage and that they are suitably dressed, and they may search people for harmful objects such as drugs or weapons. They may refuse entry to anyone they consider unsuitable. Their other duties may include:

  • Managing crowds to avoid crushing and queue jumping
  • Collecting tickets from people coming in
  • Patrolling inside and outside the venue, watching people's behaviour and dealing with conflict
  • Restraining and escorting people out of the venue, if necessary
  • Dealing with emergencies
  • Supervising people as they leave the building
  • Co-operating with the police, first aiders and management.

Door supervisors usually work in teams of two or more, depending on the size of the venue. They may keep in contact with each other by using radio equipment.

Average Pay Rate Figures are intended as a guideline only.

Door supervisors are usually paid on an hourly basis.

Basic pay is around £7 to £12 per hour; some can earn upto £20 an hour depending extra qualifications such as First Aid, Physical Intervention etc.

Security Officers

security officers

Often, security officers are uniformed and act to protect property by maintaining a high visibility presence to deter illegal and inappropriate actions, observing (either directly, through patrols, or by watching alarm systems or video cameras) for signs of crime, fire or disorder; then taking action and reporting any incidents to their client and emergency services as appropriate. Their other duties may include:

  • Managing access
  • Patrolling
  • Checking identification
  • Deter crime
  • Restraining and escorting people out of the venue, if necessary
  • Dealing with emergencies
  • Supervising people as they leave the building
  • Co-operating with the police, first aiders and management.

Security Officers could be working for retail stores, banks, construction sites, office buildings,etc.

Average Pay Rate

Security Officers could be paid hourly or annually depending on the contract, minimum pay starts around £7 per hour and goes upto £15 per hour depening upon employer and additional qualifications.

CCTV Operatives

CCTV operator

CCTV operator work seated in front of banks of VDU screens. They are usually expected to work in a shift system over 24 hours. A typical pattern might be to work two morning shifts, two afternoons and two nights, followed by two days off. They may work in small teams or alone and are in frequent telephone and radio contact with colleagues, security staff and police.

Average Pay Rate

CCTV operator's pay usually starts around £9 per hour, and goes upto £22 an hour depending on the employer and type of contract.

Close Protection Operatives

Close protection

Close protection officers (CPOs), or bodyguards, keep clients safe from unwanted attention or physical harm. They are responsible for assessing security measures and providing discreet surveillance. Their work includes:

  • Protecting their clients from threats of physical violence.
  • Checking out premises, such as hotels, restaurants and theatres, before the client arrives.
  • Installing surveillance equipment.
  • Surveying the layout of venues, noting potential hazards and exposure to risks.
  • Accompanying the client on business and social trips.
  • Driving the client to and from venues.

Threats to clients could come from a range of sources including terrorist organisations, political opponents, stalkers or over-enthusiastic fans. Their clients may also face acute dangers, such as kidnapping attempts. CPOs are often contracted to work for people in the public eye.

Average Pay Rate

CPO's get paid from £200 per day to £500 per day depending on the type of contract and risks involved.

Information, Advice & Guidance for SIA Licence Qualifications

If you are looking to advance your career in the security industry, call Get Licensed today on 0207 078 7259 and our experienced staff will provide you with advice and guidance to help you choose the right training course.

View available dates and booking form.

SIA Licence Training