Personal Licence Training Course Details
The Level 2 Award for Personal Licence Holders, also known as the APLH Licence, is the basic requirement for selling alcohol within a retail environment. The Personal Licence Training Course leads to the Level 2 Award for Personal Licence Holders. This ensures that hospitality workers, bar staff and event managers have attained the necessary skills and qualifications to operate legally, whilst also maintaining a safe environment for their customers, employees and co-workers.
APLH Personal Licence course is a statutory requirement for people involved in the sale of alcohol. It ensures people do so responsibly, as well as maintain standards to minimise alcohol abuse.
This course will provide you with the relevant training and accreditation required to legally sell and authorise the sale of alcohol at any licensed premises in England and Wales for those looking to pursue a career in hospitality and the bar industry.
One of the key skills that the Personal Licence course (APLH) provides is the ability to understand and implement the requirements of the Licensing Act within the workplace.
The sale of alcohol without the approved authorisation carries a maximum penalty on conviction of a fine of £20,000 and/or 6 months imprisonment.
How can I get the Personal Licence?
Getting your Personal Licence may seem like a long-winded process. A detailed application process guide is available in Application process section on this page. The process, in summary, can be broken into 3 simple steps:
- Step 1: Book and attend Personal Licence course
- Step 2: Get certified by passing the course.
- Step 3: Complete the licence application which will be available from your local council's website.
Personal Licence Training Content
The Personal Licence Training Course runs over 1-day and is divided into the following units:
- Licensing authorities
- Personal and premises licences
- Operating schedules
- Permitted temporary activities
- Unauthorised licensable activities
- Police powers and rights of entry
- Legal and social responsibilities of the personal licence holder
- Illegal drugs, the effects of alcohol and disorderly conduct
- Protection of children
Personal Licence Training Assessment
At the end of your training, a 40-question multiple choice exam will be conducted. The questions on this exam are covered on your course.
We understand that examinations can be daunting. With our nationwide high plus passing rates, you have nothing to worry about!
Why Book with Get Licensed?
Over the last 10 years, more than 200,000 people have chosen Get Licensed to find and book their training courses.
All courses booked with us include:
- Training Guarantee: You get the course you purchased, or an instant refund.
- Price Match: You won't find the same course cheaper elsewhere.
- After Hours Customer Support: We are available after hours via chat and telephone.
- Secure Booking: Your details are safe with industry-standard SSL protection.
- Nationwide Coverage: With over 70 training locations across the country, we are certain to be somewhere close.
We welcome you to see reviews from customers who have chosen us on TrustPilot.
Upcoming course dates
Personal Licence Application process
You must apply to the licensing authority of the district or borough in which you live, not where you work. You can find your local authority by entering your postcode here.
The requirements for a successful Personal Licence application are as follows:
- Correctly filled personal licence application
- Two passport photos - one of these must be endorsed
- Original Level 2 Award for Personal Licence Holders certificate
- Proof of entitlement to work in the UK
- Disclosure of criminal convictions and declaration
- Application fee
The application fee is usually £37. You may post the completed application to the Licencing Team at the local authority. Some local councils also accept walk-in applications.
Most personal licence applications take a maximum of 20 working days to be processed.