Busking Licence

You can’t walk along a street or take a tube without hearing a guitar player stringing a few songs together, or a classical opera singer performing like Pavarotti near Starbucks, but to activity perform and busk in pubic, you may need a busking licence.


Busking Licence


Local Council

COST £30
ELIGIBILITY 14+ years, right to work in UK

Documentation required

National Insurance number
Copy of a valid passport, with a work permit if non-European Citizen
Passport-sized photograph of each person or persons wishing to undertake street entertainment
Public liability insurance
References from other local authorities if necessary

Application for Busking Licence

Applications to be made via local council
Get Licenced

Find Your Course

What is a busking licence?

Whether you are a singer or a dancer and you want to perform to a crowd in public, you will need a busking licence.


We make getting your Busking licence a simple, stress-free process


Some local authorities may not require you to have a busking licence, but you may need the permission of the landowner if the land that is being performed on is privately owned.



Restrictions to performing in public

On occasions, particularly for people living or working in the center, busking may be intrusive, annoying or disturbing, as a result, each local council will have their own regulations in place in terms of what public spaces you may not be able to perform in, such as outside a tube station entrance or within crowded places.

There may also be restrictions in place in terms of how long you can perform. You will need to move on, or stop performing, if requested to do so by a police officer if they feel the performance is causing a disturbance or infringing on public safety.

If you are a singer or musical performer who is selling CD’s of their work in public you will need a Street Trading Licence.

While you can accept money and donations from members of the public, you should not have signs asking for or prompting payment.



How to apply for a busking licence

Busking Licence applications must be made via your local council. You can find the contact details for your local council at the Official UK Government Website.




Each local authority will have their own regulations in place in terms of how long a performance per performer can last. You may be restricted from how many hours you can perform per day and in what location.
Yes, but you should not have signs asking for or prompting payment.
Performers must be at least 14 years of age to be able to perform in public.

Certifications and Verifications

Ukas logo
Cyber essential logo
Armed logo
Stripe logo
Trustpilot logo