Caring for Pets Licence

We all love animals, whether it’s our beloved dog or pet python, but do you actually need a licence to have a pet? Well, in some circumstances, a licence may be required for an animal that you own or care for.


Caring for Pets Licence


Local Council

COST £300
VALID FOR 2 years

Documentation required

a plan of the premises where the animals will be kept
Public Liability insurance
Specifics of animal, including gender, age, health and any other conditions
Details of all qualifications and experience of the applicant

Application for Caring for Pets Licence

Applications to be made via local council
Get Licenced

Find Your Course

What is a caring for pets licence?

While having a pet such as a dog does not require a licence, some animals may require a licence, this may include some types of exotic wild animals as well as domestic-wild hybrid animals.


We make getting your Caring for Pets licence a simple, stress-free process 


If you are running a business involving animals such as a riding stable or pet shop you will require either a Horse Riding Establishment Licence or an Animal Activities Licence.

If you run a business that breeds and sells dogs, you will need a Dog Breeding Licence.

While having a licence for most types of common domestic pets is not required, providing proper care for a pet or animal that you own is a mandatory requirement. Those found mistreating animals in their care may get an unlimited fine or be sent to prison for up to 6 months if an animal is not looked after properly.



What is a dangerous animal?

While a licence for a pet dog or cat and most common domestic pets is not required, you will need a licence to keep some animals considered to be wild, dangerous or exotic. These types of animals may include wild cats, primates, wolves, wild boar and certain types of pigs.

A full list of these types of animals can be found in The Dangerous Wild Animals Act 1976.



How to apply for a caring for pets’ licence

If you are unsure whether or not you require a licence for a pet or animal in your care you should contact your local council. You can find the contact details for your local council at the Official UK Government Website.




No, you don’t need a licence for most common domestic pets.
Some of the types of animals that you may need a licence may include wild cats, primates, wolves, wild boars and certain types of pigs. You should check with your local authority to confirm whether or not you will need a licence for these types of animals.    

Certifications and Verifications

Ukas logo
Cyber essential logo
Armed logo
Stripe logo
Trustpilot logo