Cattle Movement Licence

All movements of cattle, sheep, goats, pigs and deer in a farm setting must be recorded and reported to the appropriate local authority. This is in the form of a cattle movement licence.


Cattle Movement Licence


Department for Environment, Food & Rural Affairs

TIME TO GET LICENCED 28 days (varies depending on local authority)
VALID FOR 3 years

Cattle Movement Licence Application

Applications to be made via local council
Submit requested documentation
Get Licenced

Find Your Course

What is a Cattle movement Licence?

In the aftermath of the Foot and Mouth outbreak, a rigorous Animal Health regime of licensing was introduced to control the keeping and movement of a range of animals.


We make getting your Cattle Movement licence a simple, stress-free process


As a livestock owner, you must keep up to date on cattle movement regulations and keep the required records while reporting to the appropriate local authority. This is in the form of a cattle movement licence.

The definition of cattle falls under the following:







How to apply for a cattle movement licence

Applications for cattle movement licences are made to the local authority in whose area the animals are situated.

Cattle movement licence applications must be made via your local council. You can find the contact details for your local council at the Official UK Government Website.



Why do I need a cattle movement licence?

The control of animal movements is an important part of the prevention of animal diseases, such as Foot and Mouth Disease.

The movement of cattle, sheep, pigs, goats, and deer must be carried out strictly in accordance with the relevant laws and general licence conditions. This is why a cattle movement licence is required.



What is the local authority responsible for?

Once a cattle movement licence has been granted, the local authority will be responsible for the following:

monitors animal movements by cattle movement licence

checks movements and associated records on farms

monitors welfare standards of animals which are kept on farms, or are in transit or exposed for sale in livestock market.

investigates complaints relating to livestock movements or welfare issues

In addition, to avoid contamination, carcasses of any animal found on-premises are required to be disposed of in compliance with strict rules enforced by the local authority.




The applicant must be the owner of the animals or their agent. To be sure if you are eligible for a cattle movement licence, applicants should contact their local authority.
No. For Animal Health reasons it is important that controls are in place at all times. Therefore, a cattle movement licence will be required in the moving of cattle.   

Certifications and Verifications

Ukas logo
Cyber essential logo
Armed logo
Stripe logo
Trustpilot logo