Child Performance Licence

Even Daniel Radcliffe required a Child Performance Licence when he was filming for Harry Potter. A child under the UK school leaving age of 16 years old will need a Child Performance Licence if they take part in certain events such as TV, film and theatre.


Child Performance Licence


Local council

VALID FOR Duration of production
ELIGIBILITY The person responsible for the performance production should apply for the licence.

Application for Child Performance Licence

Applications to be made via local council

Submit Requested Documentation

Medical letter from child's GP
Birth certificate of child
Copy of rehearsal/performance schedule
Letter of permission from school authorising school absence for either rehearsals or performance
Child protection and safeguarding policy from the applicant
Risk assessment
Contract or draft contract
Get Licenced

Find Your Course

What is a Child Performance Licence?

A Child Performance Licence is required if a child who is not over compulsory school age is due to participate in a play or production.


We make having a child performance licence a simple, stress-free process


In order to obtain a Child Performance Licence, you will need to know:


a public performance (such as TV, film, theatre or musical)

a sporting event for which the child will be paid

a modelling assignment that you are organising and for which the child will be paid


How to apply for a Child Performance Licence

The person in charge of the event must apply to the child’s local council for a Child Performance Licence. This is a requirement of the Children (Performance) Regulations 1968.


Child Performance Licences must be made via your local council. You can find the contact details for your local council at the Official UK Government Website.


Must the child be chaperoned once licensed?

it is a legal requirement that children who have been issued with a Child Performance Licence must be supervised at all times by a licensed chaperone or matron, unless they are under the direct supervision of their parent or a tutor.


Child Performance Licences are not required: where the child is not absent from school is not paid for their performance has not previously performed in the last 6 months. Even if a licence is not required, there are still restrictions on the number of hours a child may participate in the performance and it should not involve any school absence.
By law, the time limit for licensing authorities is 21 days before the first performance or activity.
The person responsible for the performance production should apply for the licence. They must be the organiser of the event or activity, or the person wishing to hire the child as a model. This can be a corporation if an appointed person signs the application. They are then legally responsible for the child and ensuring the acts and regulations are complied with.
During term time children can only work a maximum of 12 hours a week. This includes: a maximum of 2 hours on school days and Sundays.

Certifications and Verifications

Ukas logo
Cyber essential logo
Armed logo
Stripe logo
Trustpilot logo