House in Multiple Occupation Licence

It’s uncommon not to see a house rented out by numerous occupants in today’s economy, but if you are a landlord and want to rent out your property, you will need a licence.


House in Multiple Occupation Licence


Local Council

COST £500
VALID FOR 5 years

Documentation required

Site plan of property
Fire Risk Assessment

Application for House in Multiple Occupation Licence

Applications to be made via local council
Get Licenced

Find Your Course

What is a house in multiple occupation licence?

If you want to rent out your property to multiple occupants you will need a house in multiple occupation licence.


We make getting your Multiple Occupation licence a simple, stress-free process ✅


Also known as a house share, it is common for multiple occupants to rent out a single room in multiple room premises, this includes some or all tenants sharing toilet, bathroom and kitchen facilities.



What conditions will be placed on your licence?

As part of your application for your licence, conditions may be placed upon you as licence holder by your local authority.

Some of these conditions may include, ensuring that the property, rooms and faculties being rented out are in good and liveable conditions and do not breach health and safety regulations.

Installing and maintaining smoke alarms, as well as ensuring that electrical appliances are safe to use will also be required as part of your licence.

The licence holder should also be considered to be ‘fit and proper’, for example, they have no criminal record or breach of landlord laws or code of practice.


NOTE: Your local council may add other conditions to your licence, for example improving the standard of your facilities. They will let you know when you apply.



How to apply for a house in multiple occupation licence

House in multiple occupation applications must be made via your local council. You can find the contact details for your local council at the Official UK Government Website.




If your property is rented out by at least 3 individual people then you will require a licence. If you are found to be renting out your property illegally and without a licence, you may find yourself being fined.
A house in multiple occupation licence is valid for a maximum of 5 years. You will need to renew your licence before it runs out.

Certifications and Verifications

Ukas logo
Cyber essential logo
Armed logo
Stripe logo
Trustpilot logo