Petroleum licence

Businesses, organisations and individuals will need a Petroleum licence if petroleum is stored and supplied to vehicles with an internal combustion engine.


Petroleum licence


Local Authority

TIME TO GET LICENCED 28 days (varies depending on local authority)
COST £44
VALID FOR Indefinitely

Select petroleum licence based on amount of required litreage

Litreage (Up to 2,500) - £44
Litreage (2,501 up to 50,000) - £60
Litreage (Above 50,000) - £125

Make application via local council

Get Licenced

Find Your Course

What is a Petroleum Licence?

Petroleum is a liquid refined into various types of fuels. You must have a petroleum licence to store and supply petrol to vehicles with internal combustion engines.


We make having a petroleum licence a simple, stress-free process


You must also have a petroleum licence if you wish to store more than 275 litres of petrol domestically.


Petroleum can be found in:

  • transportation fuels
  • fuel oils for heating and electricity generation
  • asphalt and road oil and feedstocks for making the chemicals, plastics, and synthetic materials that are in nearly everything we use


How to apply for a Petroleum Licence

The Petroleum (Consolidation) Act 1928 requires, anyone storing petroleum to have a petroleum issued by their local Petroleum Licensing Authority.


Petroleum licence applications must be made via your local council. You can find the contact details for your local council at the Official UK Government Website.


Fines and penalties

If you don’t have a petroleum to store and dispense petrol, you can be fined and imprisoned for up to 2 years.


Yes. A petrol filling station is a work premise having storage tanks for petrol and from which the petrol is dispensed, either mechanically or electrically, into the fuel tank for an internal combustion engine of a vehicle, boat or aircraft. If you operate a petrol filling station then you will require a petroleum licence.
Yes. As part of the application for the petroleum licence, in order to ensure that the petroleum is being or will be stored safely and does not present a risk to the public or the environment, the local authority in which you apply for the petroleum licence may deem it necessary to inspect the premise before the licence is issued, renewed, amended or transferred.
No. A petroleum licence doesn't include white spirit, paraffin, diesel oil or fuel oils.