What is the Scottish Personal Licence training course about?
The Scottish Certificate for Personal Licence Holders (SCPLH) is a nationally recognised training qualification and candidates must have this before they can apply for their personal licence.
This is a Level 5 qualification that will help you advance in your career prospects inside the licensed trade division in Scotland.
Please Note - Scottish law dictates that personal licence holders must undertake refresher training within five years of getting their licence, or they will have their licence revoked.
If you are based in Wales or England you will need to apply for the Personal Licence (APLH)
What does the course include?
This one-day course will provide you with all the relevant training and accreditation required to legally sell and authorise the sale of alcohol at any licensed premises in Scotland for those looking to pursue a career in hospitality and the bar industry.
This one-day course will provide each learner with a clear understanding of the framework of law and regulation that underpins the responsibilities of the personal licence holder.
The Personal license SCPLH course runs over 1-day and is divided into the following units:
- Rationale for the development of the Licensing (Scotland) Act 2005
- Overview of the licensing function
- Key roles - the roles, responsibilities and functions of Licensing Boards and Licensing Standards Officers
- Licences and operating conditions
- Protection of children from harm
- Associated law
- The content and purpose of an operating schedule and risk assessment
- Roles and responsibilities of the personal licence holder and the penalties relating to failure to comply with the law
- licensed hours
- Unauthorised licensable activities
- Alcohol and Illegal drugs
- Drunkenness and disorderly behaviour
- Rights of entry to licensed premises
- Social responsibility
- The strengths of alcoholic drinks and the effects of alcohol on the human body.
- Community links
This course also includes a multiple-choice question examination consiting of 40 questions.
Get the course
At Get Licensed, you'll find courses in multiple locations all over the UK. From London to Glasgow and every other location in-between. Get Licensed is the leading training booking platform in the UK.
All courses booked with Get Licensed include:
- Training Guarantee: You get the course you purchased or an instant refund.
- Price Match: You won't find the same course cheaper anywhere else.
- After Hours Customer Support: We are available after hours via chat and telephone.
- Secure Booking: Your details are safe with industry-standard SSL protection.
Upcoming course dates
Personal Licence Application process
You must apply to the licensing authority of the district or borough in which you live, not where you work. You can find your local authority by entering your postcode here.
The requirements for a successful Personal Licence application are as follows:
Correctly filled personal licence application
Two passport photos - one of these must be endorsed
Original Level 2 Award for Personal Licence Holders certificate
Right of work in the UK
Disclosure of criminal convictions and declaration
You may post the completed application to the Licencing Team at the local authority. Some local councils also accept walk-in applications.
Most personal licence applications take a maximum of 20 working days to be processed.