Gas Supplier Licence

In the UK we need gas to produce both heat and electricity for everything from heating water to lighting a stove, but if a company or organisation wants to enter the gas market and provide this kind of service, they will need a licence.


Gas Supplier Licence


Office of Gas and Electricity Markets (Ofgem)

COST £350
VALID FOR 1 year
ELIGIBILITY 18+ years, right to work in UK

Documentation required

contact details
details about your company and its directors
shareholder details
business proposal

Application for Gas Supplier Licence

Applications to be made via Ofgem
Get Licenced

Find Your Course

What is a gas supplier licence?

To comply with gas industry rules and regulations, any company or organisation that wants to enter the gas market in the UK will need to obtain a gas supplier licence.


We make getting your Gas Supplier licence a simple, stress-free process ✅


Some of the licensable actives required to have a gas supplier licence, include, suppling gas by pipes to premises and operating as a gas shipper.

A Gas Supplier Licence is authorised by the Office of Gas and Electricity Markets, also known as Ofgem.



How to apply for a gas supplier licence

An application for a Gas Supplier Licence can be made via the Office of Gas and Electricity Markets website.

As part of the application process, Ofgem may invite you for an interview in which you may be asked to provide additional documents to support your application, including annual returns and accounts, register of directors and members and any other type of incorporation documents.



Working in the gas industry

Behind every company or organisation that provides gas services in the UK, there is a team of Gas Engineers.

To become a Gas Engineer, you will need to train for and pass an industry qualification.

An industry qualification could include an NVQ or Diploma in courses such as Domestic Natural Gas Installation and Maintenance, Domestic Plumbing and Heating or Gas Utilisation.

Trainee Gas Engineers may also be required to complete an ACS Initial Assessment. This may also include completing an on-site portfolio of gas work.

Once an individual has achieved an industry qualification and completed an ACS Initial Assessment, they will need to register on the Gas Safe Register.

A Gas Engineer who works in the UK needs to have a Gas Safe ID card.



What is a Gas Safe ID Card?

A Gas Safe ID card is given to Gas Engineers who have registered on the Gas Safe Register and who have completed and obtained the relevant industry qualifications.

All Gas Engineers are required to have a Gas Safe ID card while working on-premises.

Details on the Gas Safe ID card include the engineer's photo, a security hologram as well a licence number which a client can check on the Gas Safe Register to ensure that the engineer is from the business that they employed.




Yes. Any company or organisation that wants to enter the gas market will need to obtain a gas supplier licence.
The fee of a Gas Supply Licence can cost anywhere between £350 to £1,050 depending on the activities covered by the licence.
Yes. By law, all Gas Engineers must be on the Gas Safe Register.
Before applying to be registered on the Gas Safe Register, an individual will need to have the relevant industry-related qualifications and evidence of competence.
Currently, it costs just over £300 to be registered on the Gas Safe Register per individual.
A Gas Engineer with a Gas Safe ID card ensues that not only has the Engineer been registered Gas Safe Register, but they are qualified and competent to work on gas appliances.
Anyone carrying out gas work must have a Gas Safe Register ID card if not, they are breaking the law.

Certifications and Verifications

Ukas logo
Cyber essential logo
Armed logo
Trustpilot logo
Stripe logo