Premises Licence

A premises licence is a permanent licence, granted for a specific location and authorising the licence-holder to carry out various licensable activities.


Premises Licence


Local Council

COST £100.00
VALID FOR 1 year
QUALIFICATION(S) NEEDED Certificate for Personal Licence Holders (APLH) qualification.

Obtain Personal Licence

Attend Personal Licence Training Course
Pass Multiple Choice Exam
Obtain APLH Qualification
Apply for Personal Licence via Local Council

Apply for Premises Licence via Local Council

Provide operating schedule of regulated entertainment
Get Licenced

Find Your Course

What is a premises licence?

You will need a premises licence if you are a business such as a cinema, pub, takeaway and late-night cafe and you want to provide various licensable activities.


We make getting your premises licence a simple, stress-free process ✅


A premises licence will authorise the holder to provide the following licensable activities:

✅ the sale of alcohol.

✅ the supply of alcohol by a club to its members and guests.

✅ the sale of late-night refreshment (hot food and drink supplied between 11pm and 5am)


This also includes the provision of regulated entertainment within your premises or venue.


What is regulated entertainment?

A premises licence is also required if your premises or venue provide the following forms of entertainment:

✅ theatrical performance.

✅ showing a film.

✅ indoor sporting event.

✅ boxing or wrestling (indoor or outdoor)

✅ live music.

✅ recorded music.

✅ dance.

✅ facilities for making music.

✅ dancing facilities.


Do I need a personal licence?

A personal licence will still be required even if the premises or venue has a premises licence. You will need a personal licence if your premises or venue provides the sale and supply of alcohol.


To sell alcohol you must first obtain a Certificate for Personal Licence Holders (APLH) qualification. You can achieve this by enrolling on a Personal Licence Training Course.


Applicants may also complete an Online Personal Licence Training Course.


How to apply for a premises licence

A premises licence application must be made via your local council. You can find the contact details for your local council at the Official UK Government Website.


Yes. A Designated Premises Supervisor (DPS) will be required to hold a personal licence.
Yes. You still need a licence even if the entertainment activities are for charity.
No, there are a few exceptions when a premises licence will not be required, these types of events include, a showing of educational or promotional films, films shown as part of an exhibition in a museum or gallery and incidental music (live or recorded).
No. If you carry out any licensable activities at your premises without a premises licence, you can be fined up to £1,000 and be sent to prison for up to 6 months.
You must display the ‘licence summary’ at your premises where it can be easily seen.

Certifications and Verifications

Ukas logo
Cyber essential logo
Armed logo
Trustpilot logo
Stripe logo