Building Materials Licence

You must have a building materials licence to place building materials on any part of a highway, public road or street.


Building Materials Licence


Local council

COST £200
VALID FOR 1 month

Submit application via local council

Visit local council website
Have eligibility requirements
Submit requested documentation

Supply pre-licence documentation

Supplement of Method Statement
Supplement of Public Liability Insurance
Supplement of Risk Assessment
Get Licenced

Find Your Course

What is a Building materials licence?

If you'd like to store building materials on a public highway, public road or street then you'll need to apply for a licence. This is what a building materials licence is.

Whenever possible, you should put all building materials on private land. If you do this, you generally will not need a building materials licence.

However, if you can’t do this for whatever reason then a building materials licence is required.

A building materials licence is valid for four weeks. To extend, you'll need to re-apply at least two weeks before your current licence's expiry date.

How to apply for a Building Materials Licence

To apply for a building materials licence, all applications must be made via your local council.

Information on how to do this and what local authority to contact can be found find your local council and their application online.

Applications to place building materials on the highway should be made at least 15 working days in advance of the start date required to allows time for processing of licence and application and site visit if required.

Conditions of licence

Materials placed on the highway are potentially hazardous obstructions, so the licence includes conditions such as signing, lighting and traffic management.

The local authority will inspect your site on a regular basis. Your licensed activity must meet the local authorities’ terms and conditions.

These conditions normally include:

a single licence allows for the storage of materials, not exceeding three metres in length, 1.5 metres in width and one metre in height. You will need to consult your local authority if larger quantities are involved 

materials placed in, or partly on, the road require at least four traffic cones on the approach side to guide traffic past the storage area

during the hours of darkness, in poor daytime visibility and bad weather, road danger lamps - flashing amber - must be placed to indicate the area of the site. If sited in the road, a lamp should be placed between each cone

building materials placed on the highway must not obstruct or interfere with the drainage of the street or with any apparatus of the public utility companies.

Please note - Each local authority will have their own individual policies and procedures when applying for a Building materials licence.


The term ‘public highway’ includes roads, pavements and verges.
Where it is necessary to temporarily store building materials on the public highway, you must first apply for a building materials licence before storing any materials on the public highway.
Anyone wishing to temporarily store building materials on the public highway can apply.
No. Wherever possible, building materials should be stored on private land as a licence is not required to store building materials on private land.